WHAT IS THE GREEN DEMONSTRATION PROJECT?
The green demonstration project is a component of PRIORITY GREEN Clarington. It strives to reach beyond the development of policy and process to put green building into practice.
We are excited to announce that Brookfield Residential, Halminen Homes and Jeffery Homes have committed to a partnership with the Municipality of Clarington and our collaborators, the Region of Durham, to undertake this unique project – the first municipality initiated project of this kind in Durham.
The green demonstration project will result in the construction of of six new homes in Clarington that incorporate green building techniques and technologies. These homes will exceed the conservation and efficiency requirements of Ontario’s building code.
With the support of the new owners, the homes will be monitored for performance under “real-life” conditions. Performance monitoring will serve to evaluate the potential environmental, economic and social benefits of taking a ‘Beyond Code’ approach to new home building.
WHY UNDERTAKE THE GREEN DEMONSTRATION PROJECT?
The potential benefits of building “greener” homes include:
- Conservation and efficient use of energy, water, land and material resources;
- Enhanced occupant comfort and health;
- Reduced demand on local infrastructure; and
- Reduced operating costs.
Opportunities are created through the demonstration of a ‘Better than Code’ approach to home building. These include:
- Improved knowledge and understanding of green home building practices;
- Increased support and demand for greener homes;
- Strengthened local capacity amongst builders, engineers, architects and trades about green building practices;
- Support for a local green economy;
- Fostering of community partnership and collaboration; and
- Demonstration and promotion of leadership and innovation.
Many of the green building practices that will be featured can be implemented in existing homes too. The lessons learned through the green demonstration project can be extended to existing home owners.
To learn more about the green practices being demonstrated, click here.
WHEN WILL THE GREEN DEMONSTRATION PROJECT BE CARRIED OUT?
Monitoring of the Green Demonstration Project homes began in October 2014. On May 4, 2015, the Municipality announced that the monitoring period has been extended from four to 12 months. Monitoring will wrap up at the end of 2015, with final project results available early in 2016.